ELEMENTARY SUMMER READING LISTS:2021
Going into Kindergarten
- Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
- The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss
- Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss
- Any of the Biscuit Books
Going into 1st Grade
- Frog and Toad Books by Arnold Lobel
- Pete The Cat Books by Eric Litwin
- Any Dr. Seuss Books
Going into 2nd Grade
- Amelia Bedelia Books
- Junie B. Jones Books
- Magic Treehouse Books
Going into 3rd Grade
- The Drinking Gourd by F. N. Monjo
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- The Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh
Going into 4th Grade
- Stuart Little by E.B. White
- Trumpet Of The Swan by E.B. White
- Little House In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Going into 5th Grade
- A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Number The Stars by Lois Lowry
- The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
Going into 6th Grade
- The Tale of Troy by Roger Lancelyn Green
- Amos Fortune: Free Man by Elizabeth Yates
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
(Students will have assignments on the first day of school that go along with these books)
SECONDARY SUMMER READING LISTS: 2021
Going into 7th/8th Grade
o You can choose one of these two books.
- William Carey: Obliged to Go from the Christian Heroes Now and Then Series.
You can get it here. https://www.christianbook.com/william-carey-obliged-to-go/janet-benge/9781576581476/pd/81470?event=Homeschool|1005470
- Elizabeth Elliot: Joyful Surrender from the Christian Heroes Now and Then Series.
Found here: https://www.christianbook.com/elisabeth-elliot-joyful-surrender/janet-benge/9781576585139/pd/585139?event=Homeschool|1005470
o First day of school, you will give a 5 minute presentation over the information you find in the book you choose.
Going into 9th/10th Grade
- Tall Tales and Half Truths of Pat Garrett (American Legends) by John LeMay
Can be found on Amazon; Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Truths-Garrett-American-Legends-ebook/dp/B01ET84HZW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=pat+garrett&qid=1621276985&s=books&sr=1-3
There is a kindle edition along with a paperback and hardback.
- Be prepared to give a 5 minute book review as a presentation to the class.
Going into 11th/12th Grade
- Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde* by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Across Five Aprils* by Irene Hunt
*Students will be given a test on these books when they return to school in August.
- The Last Measure **
Can be found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2GBT90/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
**Students will be expected to give a 10 minute presentation during the first week of school discussing these questions.
- What did you like about this book?
- What did you dislike about this book?
- What do you think of how the book portrayed these main characters?
- General Robert E Lee
- General Joshua Chamberlain
- General Ulysses S. Grant
- Which side would you have fought for and why? (North or South)
- Why do you think that the South lost the Civil War?
- Why do you think that the North won the Civil War?
* (If you choose to, you can choose a biography of General U.S. Grant, General Joshua Chamberlin or General Robert E. Lee instead of reading The Last Measure.)
If you choose this option email Dr. Butler to let him approve the book you choose and then do a 10 minute presentation on the individual.