CCA 2022 Summer Reading Challenge
This summer, CCA would like to challenge your family to make reading a priority. Multiple studies have shown how important it is for children to read over the summer, but did you realize that if they don’t read, they could lose up to a year’s growth? This means that a student who finished the year reading at grade level could be a full year behind when they start school again in August if they didn’t read at all over the summer. On the other hand, the student who finished the year below grade level could start the year at or even above grade level.
To encourage our students to read over the summer, CCA will be having a “Summer Reading Challenge,” starting Monday, May 23rd and ending Monday, August 15th. To participate, all your student needs to do is read!
First, track your child’s reading time.
There are several options to track your child’s summer reading:
- Digital tracking: download any app that will track your child’s summer reading progress (here are some options:
- Scholastic Home Base https://kids.scholastic.com/kid/homebase/ where you can take advantage of book-related activities as well as tracking reading information.
- Reading Time https://apps.apple.com/us/app/reading-time-family-tracker/id1448609572
- Bookly https://getbookly.com/
- Traditional tracking: use a printed reading log or make a fun, colorful chart or tracking system – here are some creative ideas
Second, print and bring in, or submit electronically, a final summary of your child’s summer reading progress to your child’s teacher or to the office.
We’ll check their total reading time through August 16th, and award prizes (dollar amounts to be redeemed for Scholastic book orders), according to the attached chart, during the first week of school.
Total reading times listed in the chart are based on reading five days a week for 12 weeks throughout the summer.